**NEW** Visit my Gift Shop to see and purchase my favorite things for organizing, self discovery, marriage and parenting!

How to Make a DIY Picture Book Using PicMonkey

I am the youngest in my family, and my brothers are 16, 18 and 20 years older than I am. Yup, that's right, I was a surprise! Growing up I was more like the oldest child of each of my brothers than a younger sister, so when my son was born {the 9th grandchild on my side}, I wanted him to be able to recognize each member of our family. Not only that, but I also wanted him to recognize the extended family and friends that we see on occasion so that he's feels comfortable with the faces that he sees and doesn't have to hide behind my leg each time we go to a gathering. This is my easy peasy techy fab DIY Picture Book using PicMonkey.

Supplies Needed


  • Simple Photo book
  • Photos of family and friends
  • Access to PicMonkey.com
  • Access to upload and print photos or use home printer

Plan it Out

Like all successful projects, you have to go in with a plan. Start with your kids' perspective in mind. This is their book to get to know the family and friends around them. Begin with your nuclear family, then the paternal and maternal side including grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.

From there think about extended family such as godparents, close family friends and the like. Anyone you would send a wedding invitation or Christmas card to should be in your book {as long as there's room}.

Keep in mind the number of pages in the book you choose. The book we use was given to us as a baby shower gift and so I had lots of pages to fill. Think of it like a story and curate the photos in a specific order.

Here's how I did mine to give you some inspiration:

  • Our family {family photo}
    • Daddy {individual photo}
    • Mommy
    • Mateo
  • Daddy's Family {family photo}
    • Grandpa {individual photo}
    • Grandma
    • Uncle 
    • Auntie
    • Great-Grandma
  • Mommy's Family
    • Papa
    • Mama
    • Uncle #1 & family
      • Uncle
      • Auntie
      • Cousin
    • Continue to Uncle/Aunt #2, 3, and so on
  • Our Extended family {title page}
    • Godparent #1 & family
      • Godfather
      • Godmother
      • Godsibling
    • Continue to Godparent #2, 3, and so on
    • Extended family {family photo}
  • Our friends {title page}
    • Friend #1
    • Continue to Friend #2, 3 and so on
  • Our family far away

PicMonkey Tutorial

Now that the planning is set and you've filled your book to the brim with your loved ones, it's time to make the magic happen! Go to PicMonkey and begin to play all the fun features. Read my post on PicMonkey to see all the fun you can have with it.

Follow these steps to create your page titles:


  1. Go to PicMonkey.com and click Create a Collage
  2. Save the blank collage {this will be your starting point to a template}
  3. After saving, click the x in the top right hand corner to take you back to the home page
  4. Click Edit a Photo and select the blank collage image you just saved
  5. Crop the image to 4x6 {or whatever size your photo book happens to be}
  6. Click Frames to select a page frame and create a template
    • When you are happy with a template, save a blank one for future pages
  7. Create title pages and name captions for each photo page, then save each page to your computer.
  8. Upload and print each page using your preferred website or print on home printer
  9. Arrange all the photos and captions in your book, then read it to your kids!
What I love about this project is that it's not a scrapbook {so I don't have to be crafty to make it work}, it's creatively techy {so the geek in me can smile}, it's easy to do, and will serve our family for years to come! When our son was a toddler, it helped him to put faces with names. As he gets older, it will help him to recognize letters and later words. It does what every good picture book does, connects images with words but in a personal way. If that isn't enough, it can also be a perfect way to save all those Christmas cards each year and update your loved one's photos at the same time! Gift!

Do you have an easy way for your kids to remember their family and friends {besides Facebook}? I'd love to know what it is in the comments!
If you like what you see here, stay connected so you don't miss anything by signing up for my monthly newsletter!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...