**NEW** Visit my Gift Shop to see and purchase my favorite things for organizing, self discovery, marriage and parenting!

Why I'm NOT Getting an iPhone 5

When Apple sets up to launch a new product, there is much anticipation. Anticipation from media, techy bloggers, and consumers alike. I am no different. iPhone 5 promises faster processing, brilliant display, advanced software, all in a thinner lighter body. It's the best of the best, and I'm drooling over it, but I'm not getting it and I'll tell you why.
It's Not What You Think
In my previous post, Wallet Divider printables, I share our family's new way of keeping spending under control using a cash envelope budgeting system made popular by Dave Ramsey. We are trying to become debt free. We are accomplishing this by implementing what Ramsey calls a snowball plan.

In addition to that, Michael and I agreed to make personal sacrifices. It's all part of our journey to a clutter free house and life. This is the life part. My sacrifice is to keep my iPhone 4 until we are out of debt and able to buy a new phone without using a credit card. That means no iPhone 5 for me.

Why It's a Big Deal for Me
Making this kind of sacrifice may not be a big deal for some, but for me it's pretty big. I tried to think of what I could sacrifice to show my commitment to our family's goal to be debt free, and for a while, I couldn't think of anything. Shoes and clothes were options, but the thought of not getting something new in those areas didn't hurt. 

For me, not being able to upgrade hurt. It hurt because this is my year to upgrade. I even thought about getting one with larger data capacity, now I'm not getting one at all. This is my sacrifice. Squelching the techy in me could have a dramatic affect on my life...right?

How it Affects My Life
Now that I know there is no iPhone 5 in my immediate future, I have had to rethink how I use my technology. It forces me to use my devices more wisely. Compartmentalize. It was a rigorous exercise, but a healthy one for me.

More often than not I blog about how great it is to be able to do everything from everywhere, and for certain things like keeping our family's calendars organized, it's necessary. Sacrificing an upgrade has caused me to shift my thinking and live within my means {financially and technically}.

I've deleted so many apps that I haven't used in months. Made choices to keep certain things on a particular device. Declutter my life and my devices. It's refreshing and worth the sacrifice.
I'm sure that there is something that, if taken away, would hurt you too. Take a moment to think about that. Do you have life clutter? What does it look like in your life? Would it cause you to shift your thinking? Would it make room for other more important things? Challenge yourself to sacrifice what many would consider a luxury and see what it does to you.

Share your life clutter in the comments and tell us what gifts sacrificing it will open up for you.
Want more of Gifts We Use? Sign up for the monthly newsletter to get exclusive newsletter content and tips!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...