**NEW** Visit my Gift Shop to see and purchase my favorite things for organizing, self discovery, marriage and parenting!

Obstacles of Staying Organized

As much as I am about being organized, I'm also about  being real and needing accountability. Having said that, I have a confession to make. My house isn't all organized. It gets worse. Some of the areas that should be organized haven't always stayed organized. I know. But I'm not here just to make shame of myself, but to point out some obstacles of staying organized and ways we can get around them.
Obstacles of Staying Organized
Circumstances can get in the way of maintaining even the finest organized space in our home. A busy schedule, kids, vacation, fill in the blank. All of these can get in the way of long term oganization.

Bad habits are another obstacle and probably my biggest one at that. I'm really good at creating and developing organizational systems and spaces, but because I have bad habits like procrastinating to clean up right away, and allowing laziness and distraction to steer me away from finishing my tasks, things can pile up just as fast as I am able to put them in their place.

Difference of organizational opinions is another obstacle for staying organized. If you live with others who don't share your same zeal for organizing or have their own way organizing that is different than yours, it can be difficult to find a system that works for everyone.

There are probably many more obstacles that stand in the way of keeping organized, but I'll tackle just these top three for now. Let's put these obstacles behind us and work through ways to overcome them.

How to overcome obstacles
Overcoming circumstances can be hard because, often times, we have little to no control over them. My recommendation for overcoming circumstances is to leave room in life for margin. That's right, margin. By consciously under scheduling ourselves, if a need arises, there is room to squeeze necessary slots of time in for family, friends or others that need us.

We all come with bad habits and what I have found to be a good remedy for curing bad habits is self discovery and recovery. Once you can identify which of your bad habits are holding you back from staying organized, then you can find simple solutions to maneuver around them.

Take myself, for example, I have a bad habit of not putting things away after I've planned them out brilliantly. I know this because of the row of bags that sit on my floor after the many fun things our family has done in the last month. My son's overnight bag, my VBS bag, our beach bag, and my son's backpack o fun {for the car} are among the mess that wait for me to close out each of our family's activities.
This mess has been there for weeks and is hardly blog worthy for a productivity blog like mine. Or is it blog worthy after all? This mess tells me that I need to do a better job of setting aside time for clean up and put things away once we get home. That also means that I need to do a better job of keeping my boy busy while I clean up after myself. By doing those simple things, I will not only help to keep my house organized after a day o fun, but it will also set a good example for my son to follow. A gift that keeps on giving.

Is there a way to overcome a difference of opinion when it comes to organization? I believe there is. As a stay at home mom, I tend to hold all things homey near and dear to my heart and can become territorial; however, I forget that I share this home with others and need to do some consulting before I arbitrarily make major changes in the house. Coming together can be the best thing you can do overcome a difference of opinions. Take into account the concerns of the other people who use the space and find a solution that will meet everyone's needs.
I am of no help to anyone if I am not honest. If you thought that my house is left spotless 24/7, here is the proof that it does not. I struggle to keep my house clean like so many others. Sometimes I choose to leave a mess and play or sit with my son and hubby. But there is a difference between choosing family over cleaning and just blatant neglect. I want you to know that I am human and that you {my friends} are my accountability. As much as I strive to encourage and inspire you, I look to you to do the same for me.

Do you have a mess that's been waiting for you for days? weeks? more? Confess it the comments. I promise you won't be judged here!
Like what you see? Sign up for the monthly newsletter for more Gifts We Use and get exclusive newsletter extras and tips!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...